Why Ruby?

Caligo iteronvexor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 16:51:28 PST 2010

People have indeed designed and implemented very big software systems using
"one of those so called not so complex languages".
What people have not done is write anything meaningful of any size in D.
The main reason for that is that, after so many years, there is still no
decent D compiler, nothing near GCC quality, to be found.  For such a
complex language as D, there are sure too many compilers and "standard"
libraries, none of which are stable, up-to-date, or usable enough.  GCC is
the gold standard (for openness, quality, and user-base), and it seems D
won't make it in till 2012.  So, we're still years away from the "big D
software".  According to Ohloh, there is currently a total of 16 million
lines of code written in D.  Compare that to 70 million for Ruby, and 160
million for Python.  And that's only for open source projects that Ohloh
keeps track of.  The count is in billions for C/C++.

What I don't understand is this: how is it that Walter was able to implement
C++ all on his own from scratch, and yet D is having so many issues?  How
complex is D really?