gdc-4.5 testing

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Dec 21 12:54:35 PST 2010

Lutger Blijdestijn wrote:

>> But it should be possible to use shims and symlinks to make
>> both installable, at least that's how it works on Mac OS X ?
>> A bigger problem is finding more developers for GCC46 and D2,
>> or perhaps upgrading LDC/Tango to D2 in the case of Fedora ?
>>
> Yes, it requires some thought and manpower obviously. I'm not a packager, I
> don't what exactly is proper way to do it, but Fedora already packages
> python 2.x and python 3.x side by side, so perhaps that is a start.

Well, that uses "python3" so by extension it would be using "d2" ?

It would also need some better way for packaging D programs than the
current "BuildRequires: ldc". And portable $DFLAGS, e.g. -frelease

In https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/D+packaging+guideline+draft

But I don't know... It is soon 4 years since it (D) was originally
released and packaged for inclusion in Fedora (Core at the time) ?

It's always possible to install GDC or DMD manually, even if it is
not supported by your distribution. It just takes a bigger effort.
But it isn't _that_ much harder packaging GCC/GDC than DMC/DMD...
Even if it would be preferable to use the system gcc, if possible.

You *should* take it up with Fedora, if you want GDC to be included.

> For Fedora I think D2 could be positioned as an alternative to mono
> in the long run, it fits the distro very well.

I thought that Vala was already positioned as the alternative to Mono ?
At least when it came to writing GTK+ (and other GObject) applications.

But yeah, I was originally hoping on using D as an alternative to Java.

--anders