"The D Programming Language" : Still valid?

Caligo iteronvexor at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 13:03:36 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Klaim <mjklaim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm a C++ and game developpement enthousiast and I'm insterested in D as a
> potential language to use for my game developpements.
>
> I bought the book "The D Programming Language" on Amazon as pre-command and
> got one of the early no-author-name-on-front edition.
>
> I started to read the chapter quickly introducing a lot of language
> features and got through the basic language structures chapters. After that
> I needed to read another book for work and paused reading this one.
> When I started to read, I registered to this mailing list to have an idea
> of where things are going with this language - as it had/have? a reputation
> of having a splitted community that was a problem.
>
> I've read interesting topics around here. But I remarked that there seem to
> be some languages changes that are still going on and I'm not sure if there
> is a roadmap (for a 3.0 version?), and if there is a list of features that
> will be added or removed from the version from the book.
>
> So my question is simply : how much is the book outdated now? (it's still
> pretty young so I was surprised of talkings about a lot of changes and
> addition)
> Will I still benefit a lot from reading all the book? Wich part should I
> know will/have change/d? Is there a place somewhere where there is a delta
> of differences between the version described in the book and the current
> stable one?
>
> Thanks for your attention.
>
> A. Joel Lamotte - klaim

I'm new as well :-)

When reading TDPL, if an example code doesn't compile, first check the
errata:  http://erdani.com/tdpl/errata/index.php?title=Main_Page

I don't know about a roadmap, but I kind of which that there was some kind
of release schedule posted on the main site.  Currently I think there is
about one new release every month.