Array operation for computing the dot product?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Fri Feb 5 02:23:26 PST 2010

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 02:42:53 +0000, Stewart Gordon wrote:

> Trass3r wrote:
>> I wonder if an array operation could be reasonably included. It's a
>> quite common case and there are direct SSE instructions for it since
>> SSE 4.1.
>
> This would be achieved by adding array aggregate properties, an idea
> that has cropped up a few times, though I can't seem to find anything
> other than
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?
art_group=D&article_id=21671
> at the moment.
>
> And then add using these properties as something you can do with array
> operations besides slice assignment.
>
> It's much more general than inventing a new operator just for dot
> product.
>
> But there are more important things to do than adding yet more features
> to the language....

The funny thing about D is that if you start writing a book about it,
there's a high desire to change the core features and add more of them in
the community. You can't even list all the D1 features at the moment,
because we don't know what they are. Example:

class bar {}
class foo : private bar {}

Another one:

pragma(msg, mystruct.tupleof.stringof);

I can easily come up with 100 other such features. Some time ago I really
wanted to write a wikibook about D. I also wanted to write a new
compiler. It's just that D is a shitty language to work with because even
the stable version is a moving target and/or many features are
unspecified.