D on Reddit!

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Feb 11 13:05:46 PST 2010

Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:52:26 -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> "Bane" <branimir.milosavljevic at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:hl0ku9$vdt$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> I hope that D's users club will grow over time, in spite of heavy
>> oposition of number mature and popular languages in same category. What
>> I believe is that existing club members are dedicated to and very happy
>> with it, so numbers will only grow.
>>

> The way I see it, there are depressingly few languages in the same
> category as D (that category being multi-paradigm languages that are
> realistically usable for systems programming).  Thare's C/C++ (although,
> IMO C/C++ is a bit anachronistic these days), and then there's Google
> "Issue 9"

I bet the systems programmers often believe that a single language can't
serve all possible problem domains. You can probably see that even C and C
++ are used on different kinds of projects. C++ isn't very good for
modeling operating system kernels. C on the other hand fails on high
level user interface and business logic programming and on trivial
multithreaded systems.

, and then Cyclone and maybe a couple
> others like Vala that don't seem to be very mature ATM (at least
> compared to D anyay). And that's about it.

I thought Vala was an attempt to built GNOME 3.0 using a modern garbage
collected semi high level language by porting C# to native code & gobject
system. I don't really expect Vala to be used outside GNOME.