Type system plug-ins [Was: Re: Coverity tool]

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Feb 11 13:39:46 PST 2010

Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:20:55 -0500, bearophile wrote:

> dennis luehring:
>> but how should the plugin-system work?
>
> I am ignorant still about type systems. But see something about
> pluggable type systems: http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1311

In some educational Compiler Done Right (tm) projects the various parts
of the compiler might be loosely coupled clean modules, but experience
shows that in real life when you take e.g. efficiency into consideration,
compilers tend to get nasty. Both parser and type system are two of the
subsystems that almost everything else on a compiler depends on.