D2 Closure

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Feb 17 09:12:34 PST 2010

bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>> D2 has officially been frozen.
>
> Congratulations to Walter and you then :-)

Thanks much.

>> There is no major breaking change we can
>> make at this moment. Defining features that don't change the semantics
>> of existing code is possible, but will be undocumented at least in the
>> first print of TDPL.
>
> There is a certain amount of features already partially implemented or partially broken than can be fixed and finished from now on.
> A little example: I think this doesn't compile yet (the compiler can't find std.math.sqrt):
>
> void main() {
>     double x = 5 ^^ 0.5;
> }

Please bugzillize.

Generally this is the time to align the implementation with the book and
also to put it in great shape. Walter and I needed to make a lot of
microdecisions in the past weeks, which put pressure on the
implementation. But I am happy to report that it generally feels that
we're turning the right corners.

Regarding the recent debate regarding signed and unsigned numbers, I
have great faith in value range propagation.

Andrei