Does functional programming work?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sun Jan 3 20:10:28 PST 2010

Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:23:36 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> yigal chripun wrote:
>> Have you ever actually used Smalltalk?? I have used it and it's the
>> easiest language to use by far, having conditionals as methods of
>> Boolean is much better, easier to read and more flexiable.
>>
>> The beauty of smalltalk is that you can easily add new "language"
>> features in the library with little effort and they do not look foreign
>> to the language. in fact, almost all of smalltalk is implemented in the
>> library and it only has 5 actual keywords.
>

> What's your opinion, then, about why Smalltalk has failed to catch on?

The same question could be asked just about any language. If you have
followed the internet discussion & hype around JVM/.NET languages - these
are all very young languages and share many aspects. Languages like
Clojure seem to be doing well.. Why? Charismatic leaders, perhaps?
"Clojure: Lisp done right" - I don't believe that, but many do. People
are sheeple. They believe that languages are religions. Marketing
matters. Technical superiority rarely has much effect.