Does functional programming work?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jan 3 22:43:39 PST 2010

retard wrote:
>> Regarding Smalltalk, its syntax is weird for people that come from
>> C/C++
>
> I claim that currently this is the main reason for people not adopting
> Smalltalk or any other language. Even if smalltalk was 50% faster than C+
> + and 100% safer, there would be legions of morons how still want to
> stick with C++ or C when building end-user GUI applications. Mainstream
> programmers don't want to use their brain - they're happy with the C
> family syntax and refuse to learn any other syntax. After all, with the
> common syntax you can more or less easily use c,c++,c#,d,java,scala,php,
> and many less known languages. Most mainstream programmers also only know
> the parts of these languages that they all share - a nice imperative
> dialect which is very handy for writing ugly, buggy, and badly performing
> business code.

Syntax is just syntax, not semantics, and I'm not sure there's any
particular reason why Smalltalk could not use curly brace syntax. If I
was the Smalltalk creator, and syntax was the barrier to adopting it,
I'd change the syntax.

D deliberately uses the C/C++/Java style syntax because that is the most
popular and well known.