D Language 2.0

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:35:37 PST 2010

On 01/18/2010 11:31 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
>> Embedded x86 is an oxymoron. Yes, I know, it exists (and btw, 8
>> years ago they were still selling 486s as "embedded" processors) but
>> mostly it doesn't need any special support (except possibly on the
>> binary size front and even there 80k is nothing to the XXX megabytes
>> used by the off-the-shelf OS+GUI+Web browser). Face it, there are
>> two kinds of embedded developers:
>>
>> - Those who want performance at very low power usage, who use ARM
>> and C with a specialized OS. Those won't use D, period. Most of the
>> time, they won't even use malloc or most of the C standard library
>> (not saying they're right here, but I doubt you will change them);
>
> I've looked at some embedded ARM evaluation boards that have Linux on
> them. Don't know much else about them. What about things like phones,
> game machines?

This should be possible. I have a N900 which runs C, C++ and even Python
apps. Nokia is going Qt (ergo C++) all the way for mobile (symbian and
Maemo). D fits in very well.
These are not exactly embedded devices, but performance still matters
and the platform is open enough to try to sneak in. Same goes for
android, I believe they lifted the Java only restriction so it may be
possible. If I ever have to time I'll attempt to get GDC or LDC running
on the N900.