Google's Go

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jan 24 21:27:36 PST 2010

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:hjhl98$932$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
>> news:hjgopn$1i7g$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> - iPods have a Power button, but they cannot be turned off via the
>> so-called Power button. They are turned off by holding "Up" for a few
>> seconds. Easily wins the lifetime award for "Dumbest Interface Design
>> Choice I've Ever Seen".
>
> http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/25/apple.wins.dad.awards/
>
>> - How long did it take the iPhone to get basic copy/paste? (I'm not sure,
>> but I know it was a ridiculously long time for such a basic feature.
>> Handspring, for instance, had smartphones with copy/paste from day one,
>> and that was years before the iPhone was ever announced.)
>
> http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/apple-wins-eight-product-design-awards-at-cebit/
>
> Brownie points for not going with the mainstream opinion.

"Gone With The Wind" won prestigious awards too. I still hated every minute
of it.

> P.S. Never heard of Handspring.

They were one of the biggest manufacturers of third-party PalmOS devices (I
miss PalmOS PDAs). My first PDA was a Handspring Visor. Handspring's Treo
was one of the earliest smartphones, although that was before people were
calling them smartphones.