std.string will get the boot

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 12:13:02 PST 2010

> One problem I foresee is the growth of std.algorithm. It already has
> many things in it, and I fear that some user who just wants to trim a
> string may find it intimidating to browse through all that
> documentation. I wonder how we could break std.algorithm into smaller
> units (which is an issue largely independent from generalizing the
> algorithms now found in std.string).
>
> Any ideas are welcome.
>

> Andrei

I like how naturaldocs, which is similar to ddoc helps with this: by
adding a group tag. See this example of a summary of a class:

http://www.naturaldocs.org/documenting/reference.html#Example_Class

Probably it is possible to come up with categories for algorithm like:
- functional tools
- searching and sorting
- string utilities

Arguably a more D like alternative is to make std.algorithm a package
and each 'category' a module of that package.