std.string will get the boot

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 21:18:03 PST 2010

dsimcha wrote:

> == Quote from Jacob Carlborg (doob at me.com)'s article
>> Perhaps it's time to start adding more packages than just the std. Make
>> std.algorithm a package and try to split it into several modules.
>
> Please, no.  I **HATE** fine-grained imports like Tango has.  I don't want
> to write tons of boilerplate at the top of every file just to have access
> to a bunch
> of closely related functionality.  If this is done, **PLEASE** at least
> make a std.algorithm.all that publicly imports everything in the old
> std.algorithm.

We need a balance. Fine-grained can be great, but if it's too fine-grained,
it gets hard to find things and you have to import a ton of modules. Not
fine-grained enough, however, and you have a hard me finding things because
there's so much to search through in each module - though importing what you
need is easy.

Personally, I'm fine with std.algorithm being split into sub-modules. It's
already fairly large and splitting it up would make a lot of sense. But then
a solution allowing you to import large portions - if not all of it - at
once would definitely be nice. It's why being able to do something like

import std.*;

and have it recursively grab every sub-module would be nice. But
std.algorithm.all is a good idea.

- Jonathan M Davis