TDPL a bad idea?

John D jdean at googling.com
Sat Jan 30 22:30:20 PST 2010

Did anyone watch Shark Tank on TV this week? Captain Ice Cream was
rejected by all of the sharks and sent packing because he wanted to sell
a franchise that wasn't. One of the sharks said to him something along
the lines of, "a franchise offering is a package deal for a product that
is a well-oiled machine... all the kinks worked out". Or was it the Legal
Grind, coffee shop lawyering, franchise that they said that to? Of the
Legal Grind, the sharks said: so you've been doing this for umpteen years
and haven't made any real money and now you want to offer a franchise?

Why a killing of trees for a manual that changes daily and can be on the
internet? What is the point of TDPL? To make money? I don't see any value
in a set of pages that are a manual for a constantly changing and
unestablished computer programming language. Can't yaz save the trees and
offer it for sale on the web to anyone who wants to pay for it? It's easy
to setup a PayPal website (though I think D is far from that if ever). I
don't see this thing selling in bookstores. A hard copy of an already
obsolete specification? If it's just charitable contribution from long
time afficionados, why not just .org and ask for contributions and not
kill trees?

"TDPL: we want money"? Msg me when it is "TDPL: the well-oiled machine".
(Note I didn't say "the well-oiled MONEY machine).