Axiomatic purity of D

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Jul 30 08:15:33 PDT 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:10:28 +0300, Justin Johansson <no at spam.com> wrote:

> Nevertheless, I'm sure that readers of this NG would understand that
> my reference to "axiomatic purity" in the context of the design of a
> PL is in further reference to the formal mathematical/logical
> soundness of the PL from a mathematical/logical axiomatic basis.

D is designed to be a practical, multi-paradigm programming language. As
such, AFAIK it doesn't have any mathematical basis, except for as much you
can say about const-correctness[1] and function purity[2]. Thus, I'd say
"close to none".

   [1]: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/const-faq.html
   [2]: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/function.html#pure-functions

--