DMD Backend Long-term

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Jun 23 04:18:11 PDT 2010

Leandro Lucarella:
> Yes, I don't think "copying with 'cosmetic changes'" works, legally
> speaking. Otherwise everybody would be doing it.

If 10% of changes is not legally enough, they LLVM dev can copy it and then change the 15% of it or even 20%. There must exist a minimum amount of differences between two blocks of code that allows them to be legally considered different, otherwise GNU is worse than a software patent.

Nick Sabalausky:
>Plus, do we even know that this is what's holding up LLVM exceptions on Windows?<

The main LLVM dev(s) are hired by Apple, that I presume is not so worried of windows too much. What they want is people to think LLVM is a bit multi-platform, so they can contribute to the project for free.
I'll restart helping the LLVM project when it has gained some exceptions for Windows :-)

Bye,
bearophile