@property

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 05:56:50 PDT 2010

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 17:58:39 -0400, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>
wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer:
>> How about we get rid of case-sensitivity, so people who like to use all
>> caps can have their say in how they call your functions.  Does it make
>> any
>> sense?
>
> Case-insensitive languages make sense. In many natural languages written
> words usually mean the same thing regardless their case. In the same
> way, the "hello" word written with a blue pen means the same thing as
> "hello" written with a red pen. They are the same word. The same is true
> if you write "HELLO" or "Hello" or "hello", case is seen as the color of
> text, it doesn't change text meaning.

But programmers often use casing differences to use more than one word to
describe a symbol.

theResetButton vs. thereSetButtOn look like two different things to me
(one is a button to reset something, and the other, well I guess it might
be a chair?).  Doesn't change the meaning to the compiler, but the human
reading it is confused.  Same for omitting parentheses or including them
to call the same function.

-Steve