Network I/O and streaming in D2

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 30 08:04:50 PDT 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:39:03 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Robert Jacques wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:26:51 -0400, Walter Bright
>> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>>> Looks ok to me.
>>  It doesn't look okay for Phobos to me. The MIT/new BSD license is not
>> BOOST compatible. In particular: "this permission notice appear in all
>> copies" which includes binary copies.
>
> I emailed Daniel Stenberg, the author, about that. His reply is:

> On Mon, 10 May 2010, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>  > Hello, I'm Walter Bright, the lead developer on the D programming
> language. libcurl is the best networking library available, and we'd
> like to base the D runtime networking support on it. The only issue,
> though, is the clause in the license "provided that the above copyright
> notice and this permission notice appear in all copies". Does this
> include binaries? Or does it just apply to the source code?
>
> Thanks for your interest in libcurl and your question!
>
> The copyright notice is only for the source code, and possibly in the
> documentation. It is NOT for the binaries.
>
> I hope you'll find libcurl to do what you need, and I hope you'll
> discover that the curl-library is a fine list for help and assistance if
> or when you're in need!

Great, but if binary are excluded from the libcurl license, then binaries
don't have any license and are unusable. Besides, legally I don't think he
can change the interpretation of his license without changing its text.
I'd recommend kindly asking him to grant you/D the right to use libcurl
under the BOOST license, for legal reasons.