An example of Clang error messages

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 5 02:54:56 PST 2010

Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Why would you remove such a useful feature if it's already implemented?
> I think too often people just complain when they don't like something
> and when they do like something they just sit silently. Perhaps they use
> IDEs when compiling that take them directly to the file and line number
> when they get a compiler error.

It really didn't add much of any useful value, likely because one line
of source code all by itself just doesn't give enough context. And yes,
people do use IDEs or editors that parse the error message and put the
cursor on the correct line, which is far more useful.

One annoying problem with it is each error consumes 3 lines instead of
one, and stuff you wanted to see got scrolled off the top of the window.

It's still in the DMC C and C++ compiler, try it out. I just didn't
implement it for the D compiler.