Container insertion and removal

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Mar 7 03:26:22 PST 2010

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 19:41:57 -0500, BLS <windevguy at hotmail.de> wrote:
>
>> ..and frankly said I wonder .. no offense.. why you are the (only) one
>> who is creating and designing the collection library ?
>> finally :
>> from a pragmatic view > why create from scratch instead of reusing
>> Stevens data-structures..
>
> We have had private discussions, and we have fundamental differences of
> opinion for what belongs in containers.  It may be that through trial
> and error and constructive discussion we come up with the same
> conclusions, in which case I'm sure we will combine forces (recently, I
> think we both moved our points of view closer, but not quite there
> yet).

I concur with Steve's characterization of the situation. My interface
definitions are very crisp and my cost function looks more like a step
function, so I'm difficult to negotiate with. I'm running a mile away
faster than you can say "Here, there's this Container.contains() method,
which..."

But Steve suggested that he could volunteer, with credit, some of his
implementation code to my interfaces, even though he has disagreements
regarding the exact definitions of those interfaces.

> However, I will not stop maintaining dcollections as long as
> Phobos' collection solution does not implement the features I think are
> important.  I am in the process of porting/improving dcollections to D2,
> and when it is done, I think it will have some really useful features in
> it.

That's great. This kind of competition can only be best for everyone.

Andrei