any tool to at least partially convert C++ to D (htod for source

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Tue Mar 9 13:35:59 PST 2010

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Justin Johansson wrote:
> > Having spent six months developing a significant app in D only to find impediments to
> > practical completion of the project and ultimate deployment,
>
> Which ones did you find to be blocking?

(My time zone is way different to yours and gotta dash to work soon so will have to be brief).

(Comments in relation to D1)

The #1 show-stopper for me was lack of shared object (.so) support under Linux; virtually
mandated by my audience (Apache/LAMP).  (A workaround like FastCGI is simply not
appealing to customers.)  This topic discussed many times before on this NG.

#2 significant deterioration of D's GC under high working dataset volume.  The GC did
not seem to scale very well.  Since moving back to C++ I've implemented my own
memory management technique (note I said memory management not *automatic* GC).
One of the biggest reasons for using D in the first place (automatic GC) no longer held for me.
This topic also discussed much before on this NG.

#3 problems with circular module references.  I forget some of the detail but think, if I
recall correctly, that it was to do with static class members so had to pull a lot of source
code into one big file .. then leading to problem #4

#4 The performance of the IDE that I was using (Descent under Eclipse) did not scale
very well with large source files.  Tried a few other development tools but found Descent
to be overall the best but, like I say, not adequate at scaling in a large project.
Sure this is not a D language problem per se but a practical issue that is still likely to
put some users off.

#5 problems with circular references when dealing with a complex class template design

#6 a general feeling of "gee, I never had any of these problems with C++" .. this comment
relating to the general immaturity (bugs-wise) of the D compiler compared with what's
available for C++ these days .. so I guess a comment about the outlandish size of executable
files produced by the D compiler and general immature (lack of) optimization of generated
code by D compiler is apt for this point as well.

Cheers,

Justin Johansson