[OT] Thunderbird 3 vs. 2

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 12 10:35:17 PST 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> That sort of thing is a big pet peeve for me too (Maybe I'm just being
> pessemistic, but it seems to be all too common lately). It's definitely a
> dominant charactaristic of Mozilla in general though, not just Thunderbird.
> Literally at least half the time I use FireFox, there will be some point
> where I'll have something loading in one tab, so I'll try to switch to
> another tab so I can do something useful while I'm waiting, but then it
> won't switch tabs (or have any responsiveness at all, for that matter) until
> the first tab finishes loading. *Then* it'll switch tabs even though by then
> it's become pointless.
>
> I *really* wish I could find a web browser that fixes those responsiveness
> problems

I had the same frustration with IE 7. One tab would hang due to
javascript slowness, and every other tab (and every other window on the
computer) would grind to a halt.

This has gotten much better with IE 8, though Windows still does a poor
job of giving the window with the focus higher priority than background
windows.

What also helped was upgrading to a multicore system.