[OT] The right way to do a GUI (Was: Can D be cute? (Qt))

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun May 9 12:10:02 PDT 2010

"Lutger" <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:hs64bs$voj$1 at digitalmars.com...

> Ok, looks like this is specific for the linux chrome version. You have to
> right-click in the chrome title bar btw, not just anywhere.
>
> I do agree though that apps should respect or at least enable title bar
> decoration and theming. (Note that microsoft apps like office 2007 do not
> do
> this!) Most, if not all, linux window managers can be configured to force
> system titlebar decorations, perhaps it is also possible under windows.

One of the millions of projects I would be working on if I had time:

A cross-platform GUI system that allowed 100% native look & feel, but also
had an easy-to-use config program that allows the user to make/save/install
skins (including highly-configurable skins, such as the "classic" Windows
style, where f***ing everything can be adjusted - something that is
idiotically missing in all so-called "modern" themes like Aero and Aqua).
The user can set these themes on both a system-wide level and on an
app-by-app basis. Theme settings would also affect the system's native
Aero/Aqua/WinClassic/Gnome/KDE/etc settings to whatever extent is actually
possible (Naturally, this means it would work best, by far, on Linux, but
without MS or Apple taking notice, that can't be helped.)

Also, it would provide automatic protection against the now-epidemic
invisible-text-syndrome by having the API designed so that it's impossible
for a programmer to accidentally set up foreground/background colors with
one being system-default and the other being manually-specified (something
that should *never* happen, but is done *constantly* in both applications
and websites, hell, .NET's WinForms even has cases where you *can't* fix
it).

IMO, there is *NO* excuse for any modern windowing system *not* to work this
way. I mean, crap, ***Windows 3.x*** was already most of the way there. All
it was missing was a way to set things on an app-by-app basis and support
for alternate rendering (and the invisible-text protection, but IIRC,
developers back then weren't in the habit of making that mistake quite like
they are now). I can understand Win3 missing those things, but I find it
nothing short of truly pathetic that in the *20* years since, not only have
we not been able to make that *little* bit of advancement, but things have
actually gone *backwards*.