Spellechecker - is this really fun?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun May 9 15:24:59 PDT 2010

Eldar Insafutdinov wrote:
> Nor do I agree with this one. I have recently tried to achieve good
> performance with Qt's string handling and really wished that I used D.
> Phobos(and Tango) algorithms work with all kind of strings(mutable and
> immutable, UTF-8,16,32) and you don't allocate each time when you extract a
> sub-string. So D would actually be faster in what I was doing.

Often, people will compare garbage collection with explicit allocation by using
code that does an equal number of allocations for each. GC often comes off
looking worse from this perspective.

But, having a GC enables a program to do a lot fewer allocations (for several
reasons, one of which you mention) and this can lead GC to be an overall win.
But you gotta change the algorithm to take advantage of GC.