Drop extern (C++)

Don nospam at nospam.com
Wed May 12 12:00:21 PDT 2010

BLS wrote:
> Hi,
> I think nearly nobody is using extern (C++) 'cause of it's limits. So
> why not drop it ? IMHO this feature is not a " D2 sales argument",
> instead it's vs. productive.
> What do you think ?
> Bjoern

There's a much more fundamental problem with it: C++ doesn't support it!
You can't compile a file with MSVC and link it to something compiled
with g++.
Look up my CodeProject article on member function pointers -- every
vendor has their own API, and virtually none of them are documented.

On Windows, extern(C++) means extern(DMC++), but for me, the only thing
I'd want to link to is MSVC. Much more useful would be, as Brad says, to
provide a way of specifying the name mangling. If we could do that, we'd
be more compatible with C++ than C++ is to itself.