Drop extern (C++)

BLS windevguy at hotmail.de
Wed May 12 13:50:24 PDT 2010

On 12/05/2010 21:00, Don wrote:
> BLS wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I think nearly nobody is using extern (C++) 'cause of it's limits. So
>> why not drop it ? IMHO this feature is not a " D2 sales argument",
>> instead it's vs. productive.
>> What do you think ?
>> Bjoern
>>

> There's a much more fundamental problem with it: C++ doesn't support it!
> You can't compile a file with MSVC and link it to something compiled
> with g++.
> Look up my CodeProject article on member function pointers -- every
> vendor has their own API, and virtually none of them are documented.
>
> On Windows, extern(C++) means extern(DMC++), but for me, the only thing
> I'd want to link to is MSVC. Much more useful would be, as Brad says, to
> provide a way of specifying the name mangling. If we could do that, we'd
> be more compatible with C++ than C++ is to itself.

Given that we have extern (whatever C++) still only virtual methods are
available from D. So I doubt that this feature is worth the effort.
I see indeed that we have a need for extern (COM).
---
..Detecting extern(C++) implicates that you can use a C++ class out of
the box. A new D user gives it a try and after a while he is pretty
unsatisfied. This is what I have meant with "not a D Sales argument"