Does D suck?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 05:16:40 PDT 2010

== Quote from GirlProgrammer (angelinastyle at hairdressers.com)'s article
> If D doesn't suck, and is better than C++ why am I not using it? Indeed,
> why isn't hardly anyone using it?

Same reasons why people use any old, crufty legacy technology:  Inertia and a lack
of maturity in the successor technology relative to the legacy technology.

Right new, D is dominated by early adopters who, for whatever reason, can afford
to be on the bleeding edge.  In my case, it's because I write bioinformatics
research code, which has the following characteristics:

1.  Development speed and execution speed both matter a lot.  (Some bioinformatics
programming can be done in slower scripting languages, but I gravitate towards
more computationally intensive areas.)

2.  There's no C++ legacy code that I need to be tightly coupled with.

3.  I only need a few basic libraries, one of which (statistics) I wrote myself.
Admittedly, it would be nice to have a good matrix library, too, but C and C++
matrix libraries seem to have ugly APIs and I only do matrix calculations
infrequently.  When I do, I just use R or roll my own ad-hoc matrix code, which
sometimes (for example the linear regression module I wrote) ends up being more
efficient because it can target my specific use case, rather than being written
for the general case.