Misc questions:- licensing, VC++ IDE compatible, GPGPU, LTCG, QT, SDL

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue May 18 12:19:26 PDT 2010

Tue, 18 May 2010 12:13:02 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> %u wrote:
>> The DMC++ compiler you mentioned sounds interesting too. I'd like to
>> compare performance with that, the VC++ one, and the Intel compiler.
>
> When comparing D performance with C++, it is best to compare compilers
> with the same back end, i.e.:
>
>     dmd with dmc
>     gcc with gdc
>     lcc with ldc
>
> This is because back ends can vary greatly in the code generated.

What if I'm using a clean room implementation of D with a custom backend
and no accompanying C compiler, am I not allowed to compare the
performance with anything?

When people compare C compilers, they usually use the latest Visual
Studio, gcc, icc, and llvm versions -- i.e. C compilers from various
vendors. Using the same logic one is not allowed to compare dmc against
those since it would always lose.