Poll: Primary D version

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun May 23 00:39:14 PDT 2010

bearophile wrote:
> The Oracle JavaVM is already using this optimization, but indeed it doesn't
> need to keep compatibility with the C compiler. This shows pointer
> compression in C and the like:
> http://llvm.org/pubs/2005-06-12-MSP-PointerComp.html

Oh, I forgot to mention. Back in the 16 bit days, I invented something called a
"handle pointer".

http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/handle-pointers.html

It was a special pointer type that was dereferenced through a function call. The
particular implementation of it was to enable to use bank-switched EMS memory as
if it were regularly addressible memory.

In D this would be better off making the special pointer types a user defined
struct type. Compiler support isn't necessary.