container stuff

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed May 26 21:17:10 PDT 2010

> BLS Wrote:
>
>> On 26/05/2010 01:04, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> I can probably submit my basic implementations, and use them from
>>> std.x to implement dcollections.  This way, the complex pieces
>>> are shared. Dcollections definitely fills needs that this
>>> collection package doesn't, and it should be mostly compatible.
>>>
>>> -Steve
>>
>> Not that I like the idea of having (once again) two libs instead of
>> one, but I am convinced that the separation between core data-
>> structures, say xxTree, xxList, xxNode etc. and the final
>> implementation f.i. Set, Dictionary/Map. is a very good thing.
>
> I don't think it will be analogous to a Tango/Phobos separation.

Same here.

> Dcollections supports ranges, and the major interface to Andrei's
> containers is ranges, and if my implementations are accepted, both
> will probably even be using the same underlying implementations.  So
> I think the two libs will quite happily exist together.  I am
> disappointed that dcollections wasn't chosen, but given the eventual
> API that Andrei has come up with, I think it didn't really have a
> shot from the beginning.

I much appreciate your kind willingness to essentially help push D
forward before all else.

During a private talk of a couple of days ago, Walter gave me a vote of
confidence by essentially saying: "Whatever container library makes it
in Phobos, I want to to be by your vision, not someone else's." This is
nice to know, but at the same time piles a high responsibility because
it puts me in position to decide on e.g. integration of dcollection into
Phobos.

Now say you put yourself in my place and Walter tells you that. You
obviously have some idea on how you want a container library to be,
because you wrote one! So most likely you'd put your design in, not mine
or anyone else's, and you'd be using and accepting other designs and
implementations only to the extent they satisfy your vision.

This is all rhetorical because it's clear to me you have such an
understanding of the situation, but it's a sort of a public rehashing of
the dynamics that's going on right now.

Andrei