Scriptometer

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Nov 4 18:32:14 PDT 2010

retard:

> I should also mention that you can change all of these languages quite a
> bit with a special library crafted for this purpose. If you want to use D
> for bash style scripting, it's very possible to provide a clean set of
> shortcut methods and use method "chaining" (e.g. directory.findAllMatching
> ("foo").filter("bar").copy("floppy drive") )
>
> Since a trivial library would change the results that much, I find this
> scriptometer quite pointless..

Are those shortcuts currently present in the D standard library? No, they aren't. So it's not a pointless comparison. The purpose of that comparison is to show how much good a language+library is for those scripting purposes. Python is good because it has batteries included. Perl is "good" because it has CPAN. Both languages are usable for those scripting purposes.

Bye,
bearophile