Scriptometer

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Nov 4 19:43:12 PDT 2010

Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:32:14 -0400, bearophile wrote:

> retard:
>
>> I should also mention that you can change all of these languages quite
>> a bit with a special library crafted for this purpose. If you want to
>> use D for bash style scripting, it's very possible to provide a clean
>> set of shortcut methods and use method "chaining" (e.g.
>> directory.findAllMatching ("foo").filter("bar").copy("floppy drive") )
>>
>> Since a trivial library would change the results that much, I find this
>> scriptometer quite pointless..
>
> Are those shortcuts currently present in the D standard library? No,
> they aren't. So it's not a pointless comparison. The purpose of that
> comparison is to show how much good a language+library is for those
> scripting purposes. Python is good because it has batteries included.
> Perl is "good" because it has CPAN. Both languages are usable for those
> scripting purposes.

Such a layer is more or less doable in just about any sane language, in
very short time. This "meter" shouldn't be the guideline for the standard
library if we are discussing a general purpose language such as D.
Remember Tangobos - this one is much simpler. This one library can
improve the score on that test much more than any specific language
feature. Unlike the great language shootout, it's unlikely that many have
the motivation to spend the second time studying this.