Apache "mod_d" needs C to instantiate D interpreter?

Torarin torarind at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 20:26:43 PST 2010

2010/11/9 Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>:
> People at Facebook told me that the adoption of D inside the company might
> be helped if they could simply write <?d ... ?> to insert D code into a
> page. I'm not sure how difficult such a plugin would be to implement. Also,
> D code should be able to call PHP code (which is a bit less difficult than
> it seems because we use HPHP, a PHP to C++ translator).
>
> Andrei

I got the impression that Facebook does not use Apache for serving php
pages since Hiphop runs programs in their own server (using libev, I
think)? And FastCGI is really just an awkward reincarnation of HTTP.
So perhaps the optimal situation is to have D interface with the web
not through a plugin, but rather through an HTTP server class. If
necessary, it can then sit behind an Apache proxy.