One year of Go

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Nov 12 12:26:26 PST 2010

Jeff Nowakowski:

> and D has plenty of similar issues (like not taking the
> opportunity to fix C's case fallthrough).

Right. But Walter may have accepted the idea (proposed by some people, including me) to require some kind of control flow in switch cases. If this is true, then the problem with C fallthrough is mostly solved (badly solved, but solved).

> If D can actually be shown to be a useful concurrent language, instead
> of the buggy and incomplete mess it is now, then it might have something
> to crow about.

At the current rhythm of bug fixing in two-three years DMD might have a low enough number of bugs. D doesn't have resources and sizeable development groups as for example C# has, so a slower development speed is expected. D has about ten years already, but you need several years to develop a C++-class language with a so little design&development group.

So even thousand bugs aren't the main problem, the problem is more in the development style (how much people around think it is OpenSource and how much good is the main developer in recruiting and managing people. For example Walter is probably a much better programmer than Giudo V.R. of Python, but the community management skills of Guido are much better than Walter ones. The good thing is that Walter keeps improving and moving forward, so lately things are getting better, Phobos is slowly becoming more and more like an open source project), if it has a killer app, if people like it enough, if its design doesn't have too many traps and holes, and so on.

Bye,
bearophile