One year of Go

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Sat Nov 13 02:48:00 PST 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 08:51 +0000, retard wrote:
[ . . . ]
> There's also the software transactional memory technology.

I am ambivalent about STM.  Haskell has it, Clojure has it, Intel have a
variant for C and C++ but are trying to quietly ignore it.  Sun even
tried to put hardware support for transactional memory into a chip --
but the sale of Sun to Oracle has terminated that work.

On the one hand STM is just a sticking plaster trying to allow shared
memory multithreading to work as though there was no need for
synchronization and care on the part of the programmer.   On the other
hand it makes shared-memory multithreading less full of locks,
semaphores and monitors.

All in all, unless STM gets picked up and widely used in C, C++, Java
and Scala -- also D of course :-) -- I don't see it going anywhere.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk