The D Scripting Language

Alexander Malakhov anm at programmer.net
Sun Nov 14 08:52:16 PST 2010

spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> писал(а) в своём письме Sat, 13 Nov 2010
16:15:39 +0600:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:42:38 -0500
> sybrandy <sybrandy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > 2. Make Windows to open .d files with rdmd by default, so I could run
>> them with simple double-click
>
> Yes. Maybe Alexander meant this for users rather than for developpers.
> The association should then be set during install of the compiler, I
> guess (but I actually have no idea how this is supposed to be done --
> just know that some apps installers do this: set their own file
> associations -- which by the way is pretty annoying when you don't want
> eg an image viewer to "hijack" all image file formats).
>
> Denis
> -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> vit esse estrany ☣
>
> spir.wikidot.com

With my point 2 I meant that I want to __have an option__ to run .d with
rdmd, of course
It would certainly be much simpler for users. I'm in-house programmer, and
actually it's not even an option to make any user from financial
department to run anything from command line (most likely they will forget
how to do this in a couple weeks)

My main idea was a little different, though: to be able to write short
scripts ("import"- and "main()"-less, like with rdmd --eval) AND to run
them easily.
Then, if I need smth like 30-liner for some files manipulation and if I'm
proficient with D, I would go with D instead of .bat.
I have never used scripting for anything except this stuff, so I can't
come up with better example.

>> You should be able to do this yourself quite easily by right-clicking on
>> the D file and associating it with rdmd.  I'd give better instructions
>> except I'm not on a Windows machine right now.

Yeah, that's really easy (roughly translated from russian win7):
1. right click on .d file (shift + right-click on XP, IIRC)
2. "Open with..."
3. "Choose Program"
4. find rdmd.exe (default is C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin)
5. check "Use this program with all files of this type" box

--
Alexander