datetime review part 2 [Update 4]

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Nov 17 22:22:32 PST 2010

On Wednesday 17 November 2010 21:57:58 Steve Teale wrote:
> It's difficult to find a suitable entry point in this thread, so I'll just
> arbitrarily use here.
>
> Various language libraries have flexible facilities for formatting
> date/time values, maybe c#, and certainly PHP, whereby you can specify a
> format string, something like "%d'th %M %Y".
>
> Is this a useful idea? I have some code kicking around somewhere.

It is definitely a useful idea. However, having strings in standard formats is
more important (and far simpler - albeit not simple), so that's what's included
at the moment. At some point, I will likely implement toString() and
fromString() methods which take format strings, but having those be
appropriately flexible and getting them right is not simple, so I put them off for
the moment. I have several TODO comments in the code with ideas of functionality
to add at a later date, and that is one of them. So, ideally it would be in
there, but it already took long enough to implement what's there that it seemed
appropriate to put off implementing further functionality until the basic design
is approved and in Phobos.

- Jonathan M Davis