D's greatest mistakes

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Nov 29 04:18:42 PST 2010

Andrei:

> * Not fixing switch

Walter has vaguely accepted to somehow fix this, requiring a flow control for each case statement (but other people immediately have asked to special case this again).

> * scope variables

Fixed?

> * delete (generally: an incompletely thought-out approach to garbage
> collection)

Partially Fixed?

> * typedef

Fixed.

> * Escape rules are too lax (e.g. things could be a lot better if ref
> results couldn't be escaped)

May be fixed still.

> * Eponymous templates can't have any members

I think this is fixable still.

> * Template pattern matching is incomplete

I don't understand this, please explain better. But I think the syntax of is() is awful and I'd like to shoot it.

> * Overloading of templates with non-templates is poor

Can't this be fixed still?

Bye,
bearophile