D's greatest mistakes

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 04:36:09 PST 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 07:13:20 -0500
bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

> D has had the very unusual chance to fix itself, with the D2 language not backward compatible. But then it was finalized too much early, this is in my opinion the greatest D2 mistake. D2 is a C++-class language, so it's large and complex, so it needs some other years to be designed well.

I agree with this. This has also to do with the early publication of TDPL. On one hand, it is great to have it. On the other, using as reference specification the description of not-even implemented features seems at best strange. Usually, one would have at least:
0. discussion of semantics
1. trial implementation
2. trial use
3. final adoption