Is D right for me?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Oct 5 09:29:03 PDT 2010

On 10/5/10 9:37 CDT, Gour D. wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:01:41 +0200
>
> Don>  I would estimate the truck factor as between 2.0 and 2.5. Two
> Don>  years ago, the truck factor was 1.0, but not any more.
>
> Nice, nice...Still SO people say: "Neither Haskell nor D is popular
> enough for it to be at all likely that you will ever attract a single
> other developer to your project..." :-)

If developer attraction is a concern, you're likely better off with D.
Programmers who have used at least one Algol-like language (C, C++,
Java, C#) will have no problem feeling comfortable in D. With Haskell
you'd need to stick with "the choir".

> If just QtD hadn't been suspended...

I agree that's a bummer. I suggest you write the developers and ask what
would revive their interest. The perspective of a solid client is bound
to be noticeable.

Andrei