Big executable?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Oct 6 00:31:14 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 06 October 2010 00:11:05 so wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:36:00 +0300, Kagamin <spam at here.lot> wrote:
> > Andre Tampubolon Wrote:
> >> import std.stdio;
> >>
> >> void main()
> >> {
> >>
> >>      writefln("%s World", "Hello");
> >>
> >> }
> >>
> >> The final executable size is about 300 KB. Isn't that a bit huge,
> >
> > 300kb is the lower limit if you use phobos and druntime.
>
> First response (and yet not actually an answer) to a newcomer is from a
> phobos hater, isn't it grand!
>
> Anyways, there are not much of reasons that should make D produce bigger
> executables than other system languages.
> I remember, just recently Andrei fixed something in phobos that affects
> exe size.
> It is getting better but as far as i can gather from this newsgroup it is
> a low priority (bug?).

I'm not sure if there have been any bugs reported on large executable sizes or
not. But I believe that the Phobos developers are far more interested in
improving the functionality of Phobos than they are in reducing the resulting
executable size. They may very well want to do some work to reduce it, but it's
bound to be a lower priority than functionality unless it's really bad.

- Jonathan M Davis