What would you rewrite in D?

JMRyan nospam at nospam.com
Wed Oct 6 11:13:08 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in news:i8gpne
$2o9r$1 at digitalmars.com:

> I wouldn't spend much time on rewriting classic utilities in D. There's
> plenty to be done anew. One category of tools to be written in D are
> utilities aimed at D itself (parsers, analyzers, Thrift bindings,
> protocol buffers bindings, code for DB interface, etc.)
>
> Andrei

If there are old standby's to be rewritten in D, my first choice would not
be full programs (for the reasons you suggest).  But I might like to see
some C++ or even Java libraries rewritten in D to make the more easily
available or reliable.  wxWidgets, Qt, or SWT make for obvious choices.
I'm not the only ones to whom these were obvious as the wxD, QtD, and DWT
projects indicate.  Not that I want to take on such a project myself, but
it's good to see others working on them.  (Well, wxD, and QtD are not
translations, but oh well).