What would you rewrite in D?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Oct 6 14:20:02 PDT 2010

"JMRyan" <nospam at nospam.com> wrote in message
news:i8ie7k$d1j$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in news:i8gpne
> $2o9r$1 at digitalmars.com:
>
>> I wouldn't spend much time on rewriting classic utilities in D. There's
>> plenty to be done anew. One category of tools to be written in D are
>> utilities aimed at D itself (parsers, analyzers, Thrift bindings,
>> protocol buffers bindings, code for DB interface, etc.)
>>
>> Andrei
>
> If there are old standby's to be rewritten in D, my first choice would not
> be full programs (for the reasons you suggest).  But I might like to see
> some C++ or even Java libraries rewritten in D to make the more easily
> available or reliable.  wxWidgets, Qt, or SWT make for obvious choices.
> I'm not the only ones to whom these were obvious as the wxD, QtD, and DWT
> projects indicate.  Not that I want to take on such a project myself, but
> it's good to see others working on them.  (Well, wxD, and QtD are not
> translations, but oh well).

Yea, I've been thinking it would be nice to have, at the very least, an
overly-simplified D interface to Qt, that at least worked, even if it wasn't
as fully-fleshed-out and ideal as QtD was aiming to be. Just so D2 users
could make cross-platform GUI apps without having to resort to GTK. I'm sure
the GTKD devs did a fine job and all, so nothing against them, but frankly I
think I'd rather go around beating up old ladies and baby seals than be the
author of a GTK-based app.