CMake for D2 ready for testers

Gour D. gour at atmarama.net
Fri Oct 8 13:25:31 PDT 2010

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 17:26:25 +0100
>>>>>> "Russel" == Russel Winder <russel at russel.org.uk> wrote:

Russel> For C, C++, Fortran, and hence D, I personally find CMake
Russel> awkward and clumsy.

Hmm...based on what I know, CMake is universe for itself...not the
most readable syntax etc., but it looks robust, capable of building
large projects, cpack generating output in several formats, project
files for different IDEs...

Russel> I generally prefer SCons or Waf -- Waf is
Russel> originally a fork of SCons but now is its own thing, and is
Russel> aimed at being an Autotools replacement ("get source download
Russel> and build on this machine" type model).

That's what we would like as well...although generating project files
(e.g. for CodeBlock if others agree on common IDE across platforms)
and/or generating package formats, installers...I bet that both waf &
Scons do not support that?

Russel> SCons is better at
Russel> handling the sort of situation I have: source repository shared
Russel> by many platforms all needing builds in situ. Waf is somewhat
Russel> faster than SCons.

That makes it more attractive.

Russel> For my sins I am peripherally involved in
Russel> the SCons development community, and I at some time elected
Russel> myself as the maintainer of the D plugin -- the plugin as D
Russel> shipped until recently with SCons assumed D 1.0 and I am only
Russel> using D 2.0.  So when I asked who could fix the problem, the
Russel> answer came back "you can", so I did, sort of :-) It would be
Russel> good if there was a community of D/SCons users so as to get
Russel> some headway on making the SCons D plugin as good as it needs
Russel> to be.

Am I right that there is support for D in waf as well?

Russel> Isn't Cabal a dependency resolution system rather than a build
Russel> system? i.e. Cabal sits in the same sort of position as Apt,
Russel> Ivy, the Maven dependency resolution system, rather than being
Russel> the equivalent of Ant +Ivy or Maven as a whole.  (C, C++,
Russel> Fortran, and D seem to be less interested in depndency
Russel> resolution than the JVM-based milieu of Java, Scala, Groovy,
Russel> Clojure, etc. hence the Ant/Maven perspective.)

Well, Cabal stands for Common Architecture for Building Applications
and Libraries so it is used for resolving deps, building the system
and installing it (it can also build C-libs).

So, we'll investigate a bit about CMake, waf...

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: CDBF17CA