The Next Big Language

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Wed Oct 20 05:37:22 PDT 2010

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:57:10 +0300, so wrote:

> IMHO one should not try to find a PL that is easy, what a programmer
> needs is a language that makes things easier. If you dive into high
> performance/flexible/efficient/platform specific... coding nothing will
> be easy anyway.
>
> What makes a language easy/hard is mostly the crucial things it can do,
> just think about C, it has a syntax not hard to learn and keywords not
> that many, but not many people i know can say C is easier than others.
>
> D does a great job on templates and makes them so easy, wouldn't even
> compare to other languages with template support.

Other languages with template support? That is C++ ? Obj-C++ ?

Wikipedia mentions:

"Template metaprogramming is a metaprogramming technique in which
templates are used by a compiler to generate temporary source code, which
is merged by the compiler with the rest of the source code and then
compiled. The output of these templates include compile-time constants,
data structures, and complete functions.

The use of templates can be thought of as compile-time execution. The
technique is used by a number of languages, the best-known being C++, but
also Curl, D, Eiffel, Haskell, ML and XL."

Eiffer, Haskell, and ML definitely don't have templates. Template Haskell
supports a different kind of TMP, though.

So the templates in D are better than in C++, Curl, and XL? I have zero
experience with those two other languages, so it's hard to say.