blog: Overlooked Essentials for Optimizing Code

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Oct 21 04:09:05 PDT 2010

Peter Alexander:

> I don't really think of CS that way. To me, CS is to practical
> programming as pure math is to accounting, i.e. I don't think CS should
> be teaching about profiling because that's what software engineering is
> for. They are two different worlds in my opinion. If you wanted to get a
> practical programming education and you took CS then I think you took
> the wrong degree.

I think CS must teach about profiling too, because even them will need to run efficient code.

If you are right, then 95% of the people are today going to CS (in an university where I keep myself around) are going to the wrong university. On the other hand informatics engineering is quite different and it teaches many things that are not fit, it's a very long course, very hard, so it's not the right place for most students. So if you are right then there's a need for a third intermediate degree, where most students will want to go, that teaches both lot of good CS and real-world "software engineering" :-)

Bye,
bearophile