Linux Agora D thread

so so at so.do
Fri Oct 22 14:43:52 PDT 2010

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:56:19 +0300, retard <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote:

> What annoys me the most in pro D articles is the author usually tries to
> prove (in a naive way) that despite all the deficiencies the language and
> tool chain is better even *now* than all of the competition or that the
> *potential* is so high that the only logical conclusion is to move to D
> *now*. Clearly this isn't the case. These kind of articles give people
> the wrong impression. I'm just trying to bring up the *pragmatic* point
> of view.

Agree on this one except one thing, you have to except it has a really
high "potential".

> For instance, I'm starting the implementation of a 64-bit systems/
> application programming project *now*. The implementation phase will last
> N months (assume optimistic waterfall process model here). How many
> weeks/
> months must the N at least be to make D a feasible option?
>
> A typical lead developer / project manager has to make decisions based on
> some assumptions. E.g.
>
> Platform      Implementation  Developer  Performance  Platform
>               Time            Market     Index        Risk factor
> C/x64 Linux   12 months       good       100          medium
> C++/x64 Linux 10 months       ok         110          high
> Java/x64 JVM  8 months        excellent  80           low
> C#/Windows 64 7 months        very good  85           low
> Python/Linux  4-5 months      very good  30           low
> D             12+ months?     very bad   80-115 ?     very high

You can't compare D to any of them, at least D2, they are final.
Do people take such risks? Or even question this kind of things? I believe
not.
most likely it is like :
- "This is our target"
- "This is the best/only for this kind of thing" (educated or not)

In past maybe companies had to do such analysis, now they got tools that
at least "work".
The next language transition has to be made by programmers themselves.