Language progress? [partially OT]

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Oct 25 04:12:51 PDT 2010

Paulo Pinto:

> Now we have to fight an uphill battle with C developers to make them realize
> the benefict
> of using safer languages while fixing security holes every day.

See bugs from integer overflows, for example.
A "battle" that I'm willing to "fight" every day :-)

D is a bit better than C in this regard, if you write a short program in C and then you write a similar program in D, you will probably put quite less bugs in the D version (I think in C# you put a bit less bugs than D, because the C# compiler is a little more strict).

Bye,
bearophile

"If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming  must be the process of putting them in."
-- Edsger W. Dijkstra