Quick question about target patforms . . .

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Oct 25 10:39:40 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-25 12:11:05 -0400, "Steven Schveighoffer"
<schveiguy at yahoo.com> said:

> If that's not the case, and you have to use iOS' GC, I think D's
> runtime  can easily be rewritten to use it.  It's built to allow
> swappable GC  implementations.

There's no GC on iOS, for now it's only available on Mac OS X. And the
Mac OS X GC does not support pointers to the interior of memory blocks,
only pointers to the block's address. So it's not a good fit for D. It
also requires memory barriers when reading/writing to pointers.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/