D in accounting program

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Oct 27 12:53:40 PDT 2010

Gary Whatmore:

>D is safer than C or C++ or __Python__ for programming serious applications.<

D is designed to be safer than C language (but less safe than Ada and much less safe than SPARK), but currently D2 (and probably D1 too) is not safer than CPython.

In some years of usage of Python I have found so far only three minor bugs in the standard library and no bugs in the interpreter. In D (D1 too) I have found many bugs. Some of those D bugs are hazards, they may lead to troubles in serious accounting applications.

And even if you fix all bugs in DMD and you have a compiler that works well as the D specs say, there are "bugs" in the specs too. And then you have integer overflows, segfaults caused by nulls (that may make the program lose important data along the way), and the lower level nature of D has produced design choices that sometimes are bug prone (like iterating on a array of structs, mutating them, but forgetting to iterate by ref, similar bugs come from modifying an array not given by ref inside a function), etc.

Bye,
bearophile